[Hampshire] Trouble writing to DVD

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Trouble writing to DVD
Hello,

I need to write a DVD archive of a large number of files in a
directory hierarchy but am failing.

1. I have tried brasero but it exits with a segmentation fault as soon
as a disc is inserted into the (USB) DVD writer.
Google shows that many others have had this problem but has not shown
me to a solution.

2. Trying the CD/DVD Creator under the Gnome File manager, it starts
to copy files into the burn// "directory" but complains about every
.doc file saying "Operation not supported by backend".

3. I have read the wodim man page but feel a bit flummoxed by the
range of options. It's not clear to me how I specify the device
('wodim -scanbus' gives me this:

qg@qg_backup:/media/backup/QRepository/SharedDev$ sudo wodim -scanbus
scsibus0:
    0,0,0      0) *
    0,1,0      1) 'TSSTcorp' 'CD-ROM  TS-H192C' 'B504' Removable CD-ROM
 (snip)
scsibus6:
    6,0,0    600) '_NEC    ' 'DVD_RW ND-2500A ' '1.06' Removable CD-ROM
(snip)

where I believe the first device is the internam CD drive and the
second is the external USB DVD drive that I wish to use, but I don't
get how to identify it.

Also I don't see how wodim can be asked to do a whole directory tree
rather than just a list of single files.

I don't much mind which method I use as long as I can do one of
them... any suggestions?

thanks,