Re: [Hampshire] Trouble writing to DVD

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Trouble writing to DVD
On Monday 06 July 2009 17:29:38 Victor Churchill wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to write a DVD archive of a large number of files in a
> directory hierarchy but am failing.
>
> 1. I have tried brasero but it exits with a segmentation fault as soon
> as a disc is inserted into the (USB) DVD writer.
> Google shows that many others have had this problem but has not shown
> me to a solution.
>
> 2. Trying the CD/DVD Creator under the Gnome File manager, it starts
> to copy files into the burn// "directory" but complains about every
> .doc file saying "Operation not supported by backend".
>
> 3. I have read the wodim man page but feel a bit flummoxed by the
> range of options. It's not clear to me how I specify the device
> ('wodim -scanbus' gives me this:
>
> qg@qg_backup:/media/backup/QRepository/SharedDev$ sudo wodim -scanbus
> scsibus0:
>     0,0,0      0) *
>     0,1,0      1) 'TSSTcorp' 'CD-ROM  TS-H192C' 'B504' Removable CD-ROM
>  (snip)
> scsibus6:
>     6,0,0    600) '_NEC    ' 'DVD_RW ND-2500A ' '1.06' Removable CD-ROM
> (snip)

> where I believe the first device is the internam CD drive and the
> second is the external USB DVD drive that I wish to use, but I don't
> get how to identify it.
>
> Also I don't see how wodim can be asked to do a whole directory tree
> rather than just a list of single files.
>
> I don't much mind which method I use as long as I can do one of
> them... any suggestions?

I use K3b.

I know that for some of you K* is anathema, but it happily does recursive
burning on a directory. I have been able to back up /home in its entirety on
all 3 of our workhorses, except mine since it grew far too large for a DVD.
It asks whether you want hidden files and can be asked to preserve
permissions.

HTH
Lisi