Re: [Hampshire] Konsole

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Konsole
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 10:47:31 +0100
"Dr A. J. Trickett" <adam.trickett@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 at 10:31:54AM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> > Until a short time ago Konsole had options in the File menu for a
> > "Root tab" and a "Root MC tab" in addition to New tab and New
> > Window. A recent update removed the two 'Root' options, I suspect a
> > bit of ubuntization at work.
>
> Which version of Konsole/KDE do you have?
>
> KDE4 radically changed Konsole and "Root Konsole" went away on my
> Debian system - nothing to do with Ubuntu as far as I'm aware.

Hi Adam

I was only wondering if the KDE people had removed the 'root' options
as Ubuntu doesn't have the concept of doing things as root - hence
'ubuntized'

> To create a new "Root Konsole" you probably need to create a new
> Konsole profile that executes the correct command. I've done this
> for SSH sessions but I don't use a root konsole so I've not done
> that.

I have also tried Konsole profiles but to no avail, probably 'cos I
don't understand what it wants

> > I have got used to using Konsole and would like to have those
> > two options available. I have tried editing the konsoleui.rc in
> > ~/.kde/share/apps/konsole but all I succeeded in doing was to end up
> > with no options in the File menu, not at all what I intended ;-(
>
> Hacking this file is probably not a good idea.
>
> > So if there is anyone out there still using an old version of
> > Konsole that allows those two 'Root' tab options would they send me
> > a copy of the relevant konsoleui.rc file please.
>
> If you are on KDE4 then the old KDE3 config files are not going to
> help a great deal...

But it might give me a clue as to how they set it up :-)

I dunno about KDE3/4 cos I don't use either apart from just the one K
app now I have removed Kpdf.

However Konsole is version 2.2.3 (and it says using KDE 4.2.4), I
suppose one answer would be to go back to the KDE3 version if I knew
how. If I'd known they were goes to mess up Konsole I could have
'pinned' it before it got updated.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop