Re: [Hampshire] Konsole

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Konsole
On Tuesday 07 Jul 2009, john lewis wrote:

> I was only wondering if the KDE people had removed the 'root' options
> as Ubuntu doesn't have the concept of doing things as root - hence
> 'ubuntized'

That's not strictly true. I run stock Debian and almost never logon as root, I
always use sudo. I know plenty of Ubuntu and Mac OSX people logon as root all
the time, even though the root account is "inactive" by default.

> > To create a new "Root Konsole" you probably need to create a new
> > Konsole profile that executes the correct command. I've done this
> > for SSH sessions but I don't use a root konsole so I've not done
> > that.
>
> I have also tried Konsole profiles but to no avail, probably 'cos I
> don't understand what it wants

I think Stephen Rowles answer in the list further down is what you want.

> But it might give me a clue as to how they set it up :-)

I suppose. I think all you really needed to do is see a running KDE3 system, I
think it's obvious how the profiles work and you can recreate the settings
from KDE3 that you want in KDE4 without too much of a problem.

> However Konsole is version 2.2.3 (and it says using KDE 4.2.4), I
> suppose one answer would be to go back to the KDE3 version if I knew
> how. If I'd known they were goes to mess up Konsole I could have
> 'pinned' it before it got updated.

I wouldn't bother, it's a lot of effort for very little gain, getting the hang
of a profile is probably more useful.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Deck of Cards: $1.29.
"101 Solitaire Variations" book: $6.59.
Cheap replacement for the one thing Windows is good at: priceless
    -- Shane Lazarus