Re: [Hampshire] Konsole

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Konsole
> Until a short time ago Konsole had options in the File menu for a "Root
> tab" and a "Root MC tab" in addition to New tab and New Window. A
> recent update removed the two 'Root' options, I suspect a bit of
> ubuntization at work.
>
> I have got used to using Konsole and would like to have those
> two options available. I have tried editing the konsoleui.rc in
> ~/.kde/share/apps/konsole but all I succeeded in doing was to end up
> with no options in the File menu, not at all what I intended ;-(
>
> So if there is anyone out there still using an old version of Konsole
> that allows those two 'Root' tab options would they send me a copy of
> the relevant konsoleui.rc file please.

I just tried and the best I can come up with:

Settings -> Manage Profiles...
New Profile...
Profile name: Root shell
Command: /bin/bash -c "su -"

Then hit OK.

I can now go to the file menu and just click on "Root shell" in the middle
of my File menu, this prompts for the root password before giving me a
shell. I guess if you have sudo setup to allow su - then you could use
that instead.