Re: [Hampshire] Password problem on first boot up of Acer As…

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Password problem on first boot up of Acer Aspire One

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x580c9100.hantslug.org.uk.7819': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jul 10 19:11:48 2009 BST
gpg: using RSA key 4BC36C6C174D31C1
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:23:10 +0100
Lisi <hantslug@???> wrote:

Hello Lisi,

> But why the *$%^&* couldn't they say "alphanumeric
> only" instead of letting me input the password twice, and then saying
> that "specific characters" are not allowed. Grrrrr...

This is a major design failure. Telling you "something" is wrong, then
not qualifying what it was exactly is a fault. Secondly, you should be
informed beforehand that certain characters are disallowed. IIWY, I'd
file a bug report.

As an aside, it annoys me that errors are still often just quoted as
numeric (error 504 for example). That was fine when memory was
expensive and software came with manuals (paper=cheap) that you could
look up the codes in. These days, without manuals, and memory being as
cheap as it is, human readable^Wunderstandable error strings should be
reported.

I know it's often possible to search the WWW for them, but if the error
means you can't get online......

--
 Regards  _

I'd hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain
Sweet Child O'Mine - Guns 'N' Roses