Re: [Hampshire] Password problem on first boot up of Acer As…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Password problem on first boot up of Acer Aspire One
Lisi wrote:

> But like Victor, I find this shocking, outraging, and ultimately depressing.
> The strong security is one of the reasons that I like Linux in the first
> place.
>
> At least I now know why so many Linux users buy a box with Linux installed and
> promptly wipe the HDD! I did wonder.

A case of horses for courses I think.

These machines are primarily designed to be single-user devices, and as
such once you are past the front door (which you can elect to lock) you
are trusted to do what you want.

I have a Puppy Linux machine that I password protect and encrypt the
drive on, but once I am in I am root and I accept the responsibility
that comes with that.

<sean starts digging a trench and filling sandbags>

One thing I find a little frustrating with netbooks is that people seem
to have lost sight of their origins and expect a little too much of them.

If you want a small, portable machine capable of running a full Linux
distro with bells and whistles you should really expect to be paying a
lot more for it than the £150 - £200 you can grab an Acer One for these
days. My Dell D430 is just such a machine and costs £600-ish (work paid
for it so I don't know exactly).

FWIW, my cheapskate Puppy netbook [1] has cost me nothing so far for a
thin, lightweight machine with a 12" screen that does 1024x768. I will
need to buy a new battery and have just nabbed a PCMCIA wifi card off
ebay for £4, but I am hoping to come in at under £50 for the lot.

Sean

[1] https://funkygibbins.dyndns.org/wordpress/?p=1224 - okay, it's a
small laptop I know, but I can't afford a netbook! :-)

--
www.funkygibbins.me.uk