Re: [Hampshire] Firefox ongoing bother: is it me?

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Firefox ongoing bother: is it me?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57053100.hantslug.org.uk.7952': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Jul 15 15:17:04 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 03:09:54PM +0100, Victor Churchill wrote:
> Desktop machine: Ubuntu 8.10, Firefox 3.0.11. Firefox regularly grows
> to >1GB in virtual memory size and close to 1GB physical memory at
> which point my (1GB) system starts thrashing and I usually need to
> kill it and restart. FF version from Synaptic is
> '3.0.11+build2+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.10.1' which is the up to date
> version. It's not a huge Firefox session: 3 windows, 10 tabs. Even
> after a fresh restart it shows 250MB resident, 750MB virtual.

There are definitely memory leaks in Firefox, particularly on
certain pages that get used/reloaded a lot. For example, if I
accidentally leave a Test match score page from cricinfo open
overnight, I have to kill -9 the browser and restart it, because it's
using so much memory. The page reloads every 60 seconds. This
behaviour has been there for at least the whole lifetime of FF3. It
may have happened with FF2 as well, but I don't recall that so well.

> Today a new development: used 'killall firefox' at shell prompt and my
> X session got killed. Twice.^H^H^H^H^H^HThrice.
> I say 'new' because I have not seen this before; but I don't usually
> use 'killall' so it may be something that was there all along.

I've not seen that behaviour before.

Hugo.

     --- "Your problem is that you have a negative personality." ---
                             "No,  I don't!"