[Hampshire] KVM without X on Lenny

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] KVM without X on Lenny
I've been looking at KVM virtualisation recently. I want to use it on a
hosted server without X installed, and I want to be able to create new
(Linux) guests from the command line.

virt-install lets me kick off an installation, but everything I've tried
so far needs a graphical terminal of some sort to carry out the text-based
Lenny installation. Once the installation is complete, I can use 'virsh'
to connect to the serial console and that works fine.

I suspect the key is in virt-install's '--nographics' option, but I can't
seem to connect to the console to carry out the installation after using
that option. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,
Keith