Re: [Hampshire] KVM without X on Lenny

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] KVM without X on Lenny

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58199100.hantslug.org.uk.23030': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jul 17 19:02:07 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 06:45:24PM +0100, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> I've been looking at KVM virtualisation recently. I want to use it on a
> hosted server without X installed, and I want to be able to create new
> (Linux) guests from the command line.
>
> virt-install lets me kick off an installation, but everything I've tried
> so far needs a graphical terminal of some sort to carry out the text-based
> Lenny installation. Once the installation is complete, I can use 'virsh'
> to connect to the serial console and that works fine.
>
> I suspect the key is in virt-install's '--nographics' option, but I can't
> seem to connect to the console to carry out the installation after using
> that option. Can anyone shed some light?

I've no idea about virt-install, but:

vmhost $ kvm $OTHER_OPTIONS -vnc :5
desktop $ xvncclient vmhost:5

(Where $OTHER_OPTIONS are the options you'd use to start the VM in
question -- disk and network mappings, usually). You may find that the
binary isn't called kvm, too -- it might simply be qemu-system-x86_64
or whatever they call it that you get from installing KVM. It varies
by distribution, I believe.

Hugo.

    --- All mushrooms are edible,  but some are only edible once. ---