Re: [Hampshire] Mail filtering on remote IMAP server

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mail filtering on remote IMAP server

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57166100.hantslug.org.uk.21011': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Jul 22 11:26:56 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:16:11AM +0100, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:12:04AM +0100, Hugo Mills wrote:
> >    The *only* access I have to my mail and the system it runs on is
> > through IMAP. (This is an Exchange-based system, and the exchange
> > filtering requires me to run IE merely to configure it, and it's
> > utterly pointless anyway, as it only allows filters on about two
> > header fields anyway).

> Have you tried IMAPFilter[1]? It should be able to do what you want,
> although I'm not sure if the limitations of Exchange's IMAP implementation
> will cause you problems.
>
> I'm also not sure how much of the processing is done server-side - I have a
> feeling that when content-based filtering is done the message is
> downloaded, rules applied and then the appropriate server-side activities
> performed. Without Exchange supporting Sieve, that's probably the best
> you're going to be able to do, unfortunately.

Thanks, that looks like exactly the sort of thing I'm after. I was
expecting the limitations you mention. I don't tend to do content
filtering anyway, but not being able to filter on List-Id: headers is
truly painful, for the way that I like to work with my mail.

Hugo.

  --- We teach people management skills by examining characters in ---
            Shakespeare.  You could look at Claudius's crisis
                   management techniques, for example.