[Hampshire] Debugging the boot process...

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Debugging the boot process...

Hi All.

I'm trying to get a box running, and failing rather miserably.

I'm booting grub, and using a fairly standard setup, along the lines of

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-ver root=/dev/hda1
initrd /initrd.img

It claims to find both the kernel & the initrd. It boots the kernel. But
it can't find the root fs - and the list of possibles is empty.

So all I get is a screen of text with a (long) panic message at the
bottom; there's very little info to go on.

Anyone got any ideas how to debug this? I'm pretty much stumped. I don't
have any other boot devices (it's not a standard PC...).

And yes - I have tried sda1 instead of hda1 :-)

Thanks!

Vic.