Re: [Hampshire] Debugging the boot process...

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debugging the boot process...

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56aed100.hantslug.org.uk.30619': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jul 26 19:16:26 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 07:06:23PM +0100, Vic wrote:
> I'm trying to get a box running, and failing rather miserably.
>
> I'm booting grub, and using a fairly standard setup, along the lines of
>
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-ver root=/dev/hda1
> initrd /initrd.img
>
> It claims to find both the kernel & the initrd. It boots the kernel. But
> it can't find the root fs - and the list of possibles is empty.
>
> So all I get is a screen of text with a (long) panic message at the
> bottom; there's very little info to go on.
>
> Anyone got any ideas how to debug this? I'm pretty much stumped. I don't
> have any other boot devices (it's not a standard PC...).

Replace the initrd with one that contains enough tools to work out
what's going on.

On PC hardware, most distributions have something that will dump
you in a shell in the initrd if you ask it in the right way, and your
current initrd may have something similar -- although you will
probably have to pull it to bits to work out what the relevant
incantation is.

Hugo.

      --- Q: What goes, "Pieces of seven! Pieces of seven!"? A: ---
                            A parroty error.