[Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?

Author: Stuart Matheson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?
Hi Everyone,

I did a quick search of the HantsLUG list and couldn't find anything
appropriate so please let me know if I've missed something.

My girlfriend is moving out of her current splace and will no longer have
access to the expert she had there (ie someone with an xbox with xbmc). I'm
looking for a quiet multimedia PC that can be plugged into a TV for watching
iplayer, youtube and other online video as well as video files and possibly
a dvd (I have an external dvd player she could use though so it isn't a deal
breaker). She said the xbox was quite noisy though so she'd like something
quiet. Something that shouldn't have much trouble running something like
xbmc (which she is familiar with, or any other easy to use program) and can
connect to a SD tv would be great. A remote will also likely be required. An
internal or external HDD would be fine as I have one spare. She is also
interested in wii fit so a nintendo might be an option, but I have no idea
if it would fit the bill in regards to the other requirements.

What can people recommend for this (unit and remote)? It doesn't necessary
have to be brand new so 2nd hand laptops/refurbished PCs aren't out of the
question. Like most people (or in her case, public servants) she is pretty
skint so the cheaper the better.

All suggestions welcome :)

Cheers,

Stuart