Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?
On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 20:08:43 +0100
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> > Doubt : should I recompile my kernel ?
> >

> I haven't compiled a kernel _at_ _all_ for 4 years. I did plenty
> before that, but haven't needed to since. I switched to Ubuntu 4 years
> ago. Wonder if these things are related somehow.

why should it be related, I have been using stock Debian kernels for
years and haven't ever needed to compile my own kernel in order to have
a running system (I _have_ done kernel compiles to find out if doing so
had any benefits)

> > Yes MythTV is a great step . You guys are doing a great job
> > releasing packages for ubuntu .
> > Could you please clear a "D" of FUD ie Doubt : " Why can't I apt-get
> > install mythtv  on debian sid? "
> >

> You can. If you add this repo:-
>
> http://debian-multimedia.org/

don't forget to install the Debian-Multimedia-Keyring first

From the Multimedia page FAQ

Q. Why apt-get doesn't find this public key : NO_PUBKEY
07DC563D1F41B907 ? A. Install the debian-multimedia-keyring package
with with "dpkg -i debian-multimedia-keyring_2008.10.16_all.deb" (click
on the link above to download the package).

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop