Re: [Hampshire] Machine crashing - where to look for diagnos…

Author: AdamC
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Machine crashing - where to look for diagnostics?
2009/8/17 Keith Edmunds <kae@???>:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:40:55 +0100, kabads@??? said:
>
>> Apart from this, are there any other tips to
>> help me track down what is causing the problem?
>
> Although the simultaneous occurrence of problems on two systems at once
> points to some kind of software update issue, it is possible that the
> system problems are unrelated. I like to run two or more passes of
> memtest86+ on such occasions, if only to (mostly) eliminate memory and
> associated hardware from the equation.
>
> http://www.memtest.org/
>
> --
> Keith Edmunds

Keith - thanks for the pointer. I did track it down quite quickly in the end.

The fact that they were happening simultaneously was the clue - a
different samba machine had run out of disk space and that seemed to
throw samba into a wobbly about creating an Admin user. I'm surprised
it managed to cause so much mayhem on the client machines, but I'm
just glad I found out what was causing it.

Adam