Re: [Hampshire] Sheeva PlugComputer anyone?

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sheeva PlugComputer anyone?
Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> Hi, just wondering if anyone has one of these?

Yep - arrived last week, but had no chance yet to fiddle with it in
earnest though :^(
> http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> The guy who produced a debian installer for NSLU2 has produced a
> Debian Lenny tarball for the it. He calls Sheeva an NSLU2-killer:
>
> http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer
> http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/
> http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/unpack.html
>
> Debian support is "coming along" but not quite to the same level as the NSLU2.

Oh good.
> http://computingplugs.com/index.php/SheevaPlug_Performance
>
> interesting points:
> - an SD wi-fi card *should* work with it.
> - the CPU has been compared in performance to a P3 800Mhz
> - It comes with Ubuntu 9.04 already installed.

Don't bank on it. Mine arrived with *nothing* installed, just a patchy
set of documentation in poor english telling you how to set up the dev
kit and install a rootfs and kernel.
> I want to buy but I'm a bit put off by stories of being charged high
> import duty. However I heard that the senders state a lower value to
> mitigate this.
>
> Buy from: http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-25-sheevaplug-dev-kit-uk.aspx

Globalscale are a truly horrible supplier to deal with. Took 3 months to
arrive, then I got charged £45 import duty because they had failed ti
fill in the customs declaration correctly. They don't respond to phone
calls OR emails. I'm trying to find an alternative supplier.

Cheers

jfk