[Hampshire] High availability database

Author: Chris Simmonds
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] High availability database
Hi,

I have a situation where I need to keep data on several PCs on a LAN in
sync. Any PC may update the data, with suitable locking, which must be
pushed out to all the others. It must be possible for a PC to go down
and be brought back on line again without impacting the others. The
amount of data is not large - say a few thousand items - and the
population of PCs is also modest - maybe 50 of them. All will be running
some version of Red Hat Linux.

Has anyone worked on something along these lines?

One option I have considered is using, say, MySQL with one master node
replicating to all the others and some mechanism to elect a new master
if the original went down. But, that sounds messy. There must be a
neater solution?

Bye for now,
Chris.