Re: [Hampshire] Can't access public IP address from inside L…

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Can't access public IP address from inside LAN
On Sunday 20 September 2009 16:28:47 Anton Piatek wrote:
> 2009/9/20 Alan Pope <alan@???>:
> > 2009/9/20 Mark Johnson <mark@???>:
> >> Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong? If it helps, my
> >> firewall/router is a Netgear DG834G supplied by the ISP.
> >
> > You're not testing it from _inside_ the LAN are you? Trying to access
> > the external IP of the router from inside your LAN? This invariably
> > doesn't work when I've tried using domestic routers.
> >
> > You need to test it from a box outside your LAN.
>
> I agree - I have never had a router that works for this - which is
> annoying because it is easier to just use a single hostname whether
> you are inside your LAN or outside. The only way I konw of solving
> this is to have a dns server on your router that changes the ip
> address to an internal one (and only use that dns server when you are
> inside your network)
>
> Anton

Why souldn't it work?

If it only happened with domain names I would say it sounds like you have a
DNS issue.

However, if you can't connect using a public IP, it could be that you have
some outgoing ports blocked on your router. Try running NMAP against the
router's external IP address and see what you get.

The DG834 will cope with what you're trying to do. Well, mine did, but it's a
few years old now.

Tim B.
--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
Lead Developer