Re: [Hampshire] Can't access public IP address from inside L…

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Can't access public IP address from inside LAN

>> > You're not testing it from _inside_ the LAN are you? Trying to access
>> > the external IP of the router from inside your LAN? This invariably
>> > doesn't work when I've tried using domestic routers.
>
> Why souldn't it work?

They usually don't.

To have access to the external IP address from inside the LAN, packets
need to be routed to the WAN interface and then *back again* to the LAN -
a second pass through the routing table.

Most punter-grade routers just don't do that.

> If it only happened with domain names I would say it sounds like you have
> a DNS issue.

No, DNS is the solution to this issue, not the cause. Running multiple
views in BIND means you can resolve your domain name to a private IP
address if the source is inside the LAN, or the external address if it
isn't.

Vic.