Re: [Hampshire] Laptop display borked.

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop display borked.
AdamC wrote:
> What are the options with dodgy GPUs? Can they be replaced? I've never
> had any dealings with repairing laptops before (like I said 2 years
> have been uneventful so far).

I once came close but I've not actually repaired one myself.

I am guessing that if it is a separate graphics card (which some
high-end laptops do have) then you're better placed than if it is a chip
on the motherboard. But, if your machine is one of the many generic
efforts produced for people like Novatech to rebrand, you will almost
certainly struggle with new parts as the turnover of new models is
frighteningly fast and spares subsequently hard to come by, as the
plants quickly move on to newer chipsets.

In either case I wonder just how economical it will be if you can't find
the part on ebay and fit it yourself. I recall Dell wanted stupid money
for a replacement nvidia card for my i8800 (which was eventually
replaced for free when I complained so much they gave me a new laptop).
And, even well-made laptops /can/ be a bit tricky when it comes to
reassembly, so you may encounter problems there even if you do get the
parts you want.

It might be worth trying Novatech to see what they can do for you, as I
gather they are a good bunch, or getting a cheap local repairer to see
if you have a dry joint that can be re-soldered. Failing that I think
you are probably looking at a new machine, the good news there being
that it will almost certainly be a better spec and cheaper than the one
it replaces.

Sean

--
www.funkygibbins.me.uk