[Hampshire] Ubuntu - bridging networks & network cards

Author: Brian Chivers
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Ubuntu - bridging networks & network cards
I have a server that I'm going to start trialling KVM, it's running Ubuntu 9.0.4 & I have KVM
running OK but I'm having trouble getting my brain round how Ubuntu decides which netcard gets which
ip address & then how to setup bridging.

The server has 6 Gb cards, two onboard(currently eth0,eth1)that I'd like to keep for management etc
& a quad port card that I'd like to bridge two for virtual machines & bond two for access to our new
SAN when it arrives.

Currently I have configured the server with the two onboard ports (see interfaces file below) but I
can't get my brain round is how it's know's what IP address to give to each card (used to go by MAC
address) & how to setup the bridging & bonding bit for the quad port card, the server sees them OK
in /var/log/messages as eth2,3,4,5 but they aren't configured.

I have looked at loads on setting up the bridging but only on single cards not multiples so if
anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks
Brian Chivers

# The loopback network interface
auto lo eth0 eth1
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
iface eth0 inet static
         address 192.168.210.1
         netmask 255.255.0.0
         network 192.168.0.0
         broadcast 192.168.255.255
         gateway 192.168.0.2
         # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
         dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1
         dns-search portsmouth-college.ac.uk

iface eth1 inet static
         address 192.168.210.2