Re: [Hampshire] Intercepting shutdown

Author: Leo
To: adrian, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Intercepting shutdown
Adrian Bridgett wrote:

> I don't know of a nice elegant way, I suspect you'll need to have a
> program registed with the gnome-session somehow so that instead of it
> saay "do you want to save?" it can cancel the shutdown.

Thanks for that, I'll see what google can tell me about gnome-sessions.

> As long as the recording isn't within the next few mins you could set
> the computer to wake up 5-15mins beforehand. I thought I'd tried this
> (unsuccessfully) by poking /proc/acpi/... but can't see how ATM.
> "nvram-wakeup" package might be handy.

Unfortunately the problem is generally that I shutdown while it's
recording. However I have set my computer to wake itself up for
recording when I'm not around (from a complete switch off).I believe
current kernels no longer use /proc/acpi, or at least it stopped working
for me somewhere between ubuntu 7.10 and 9.04. I now have to use
/sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm. I found out how to use it from [1].

Thanks,
Leo

[1]
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup#Using_.2Fsys.2Fclass.2Frtc.2Frtc0.2Fwakealarm