Re: [Hampshire] [OT] OLPC XO

Author: John Cooper
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] OLPC XO
On 24/10/09 14:25, Daniel Pope wrote:
> Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
>> If you only ever copy stuff that works, you’ll never do anything new.
>
> That's like saying "if you only ever use words that exist in the
> dictionary, you'll never write a book".
>
> I know you don't mean that but if you're going to appeal to ridicule
> I'll happily throw one back at you.

Just a bit too keen to ridicule which doesn't really help other to
participate.
>> Just because that’s what we’ve always done doesn’t mean it’s the best
>> way.
>
> It's inherently advantageous to copy what we've always done. It's
> familiar,

The point is there is no familiar. They are aiming at children with no
prior knowledge of technology, never mind computers.

>there are reference implementations, and less easy to see,
> there's a wealth of information boiled down into those simple UI
> conventions - a myriad of variations that didn't quite work as well and
> have been avoided.

The developers are not stupid. They will have looked at the alternatives
and decided what to keep and what to re-invent. An open mind with open
source software can create wonderful things. It might ultimately fail,
but I applaud their ability to design something new and creative. With
millions of users it could mature in to a superb learning tool.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk