Re: [Hampshire] Easy user management in LDAP

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Easy user management in LDAP
On Sunday 25 October 2009 16:07:14 Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> I normally use phpldapadmin (or ldapvi for more global things).

Okay, I may have a look at that as well.

> TBH I think running LDAP at home is generally more hassle than it's
> worth. Okay, so I do run LDAP at home, but that's since I use it as a
> test bed for doing LDAP work.

Possibly. However, not using it is also a hassle. I've got
a jabber server, an IMAP and webmail server, several wiki's
(one internal, some external), subversion and CVS repositories
plus potentially an OpenId server. Oh, and samba and CUPS as
well.

Even ignoring UNIX logins to desktops and servers, it would be
be nice to harmonize passwords across my main services.

Given that my old server is still running fine, I've got a
bit of time in which to play around with options to see whether
going down this route works.

I'm well aware that I may have been begging the question, and
that I should have asked "how can I easily manage users"
instead of deciding on OpenLDAP from the start, but OpenLDAP
is the only option I'm aware of that is commonly supported.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???