Re: [Hampshire] Easy user management in LDAP

Author: Brian Chivers
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Easy user management in LDAP
Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Sunday 25 October 2009 16:07:14 Adrian Bridgett wrote:
>
>> I normally use phpldapadmin (or ldapvi for more global things).
>>

> Okay, I may have a look at that as well.
>

>> TBH I think running LDAP at home is generally more hassle than it's
>> worth. Okay, so I do run LDAP at home, but that's since I use it as a
>> test bed for doing LDAP work.
>>

> Possibly. However, not using it is also a hassle. I've got
> a jabber server, an IMAP and webmail server, several wiki's
> (one internal, some external), subversion and CVS repositories
> plus potentially an OpenId server. Oh, and samba and CUPS as
> well.
>
> Even ignoring UNIX logins to desktops and servers, it would be
> be nice to harmonize passwords across my main services.
>
> Given that my old server is still running fine, I've got a
> bit of time in which to play around with options to see whether
> going down this route works.
>
> I'm well aware that I may have been begging the question, and
> that I should have asked "how can I easily manage users"
> instead of deciding on OpenLDAP from the start, but OpenLDAP
> is the only option I'm aware of that is commonly supported.

How about something like this

https://gna.org/projects/smbldap-tools/

I use it with LAM (http://www.ldap-account-manager.org/)

I setup our Samba server & OpenLDAP using this

http://majen.net/smbldap/

It's no longer supported but might give you a few pointers that'll help

Brian

                the views of Portsmouth College