Re: [Hampshire] Kubuntu 9.10

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Kubuntu 9.10
2009/10/31 Chris Aitken <cs.aitken@???>:
>> Just been playing with kubuntu 9.10 and it's looking good on my old
>> Toshiba laptop. Much cleaner interface by default, less wasted screen
>> space, wireless configuration is excellent and performance is good
>> too. Still not sure about desktop gadgets but they're pretty and easy
>> to delete.
>
> I've just tried the Ubuntu 9.10 live CD, but it doesn't have the driver for
> the Broadcom 4312 wifi card in my Dell D630. Strangely the driver was there
> in 9.04. Sure - I could download it, but I'm in the lounge and only have
> wifi access, so it's a fail here.
>
> Seems I'm not the only one to miss it [1]
>
> Chris
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bcm43xx-fwcutter/+bug/379052

An issue I ran into with my wife's PC is that the openchrome video
driver doesn't work with kde (strangely it does with gnome) so I had
to switch to the vesa driver. Apparently using "NoAccel" in xorg.conf
works too [1].

Peter

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/454128