Re: [Hampshire] Ethernet connection Unscreened

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: rogermunford, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ethernet connection Unscreened
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 27 at 04:13, Roger Munford wrote:
> I am working on a project that, at the last moment added an ethernet
> connection, between two water proofed housings about 1 meter apart.

Over a 1 meter distance I doubt the cable makes a lot of difference unless
it is really nasty stuff. I'd look more closely at the connectors/method
of transitioning to/from your regular cat 5. A bad impedence connector
could be causing all sorts of problems. As someone has already pointed
out winding the speed down to 10Mbps should help.

If this is a submarine application be aware that 500m of water pressure
does strange things to the impedence of cables etc. Something that works
on the bench may not work under pressure.

For underwater comms over any real distance we go fiber optic, unless
the customer has other ideas.
--
        Bob Dunlop