Re: [Hampshire] Shuttle and other small box systems

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Shuttle and other small box systems
Bob Dunlop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 08 at 04:05, Adam John Trickett wrote:
>
>> What things should I be looking for? Obviously if it runs Windows then it will
>> need more grunt, but my preference is for a case with a passively cooled CPU
>> and graphics system and a quite hard disk.
>>

> My experience with Shuttles themselves, several years old now, is that they're
> either extreamly quiet, or extreamly noisy, with no rhyme or reason to which
> model is which.

Mine have always been fairly performant, and therefore not as quiet as I
would like.

My friend has just bought an Acer Revo, which he maxxed out in terms of
the hard drive and memory. Aside from lacking an optical drive that
seems to be a nice compact and quiet machine.

If that is a little underpowered then Shuttles are probably a good bet,
but usually come with a price premium attached.

Another alternative might be a self-build job using micro-ATX case;
Antec do some lovely quiet cases.

Sean

--
And I've made disapointment