Re: [Hampshire] CAcert assurers at Saturdays meeting?

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CAcert assurers at Saturdays meeting?
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 14:37:05 +0000 (+0000), Imran Chaudhry wrote:
>> Will there be any CA cert assurers at Saturdays meeting?
>>
>> At the last meeting, Tony and Ciemon assured me (I think I gave
>> details to Hugo who has yet to assure me). I need another 15 points
>> before I can create 2-year certs. Eventually I'd like to become an
>> assurer myself.
>
> Yep, I'm one.  I have to say though, I've lost all faith in CAcert's
> ability to execute.  Getting a cert from trustico is cheap, from
> star-ssl (IIRC) they are free (and in browsers unlike self-signed
> ones).  So a major reason for me (avoiding paying astronomical fees to
> Verislime) has gone.

http://cert.startcom.org/

Thanks, interesting, it really does seem to be free. The root CA is
even in my Firefox 3.5 by default.

Part of the reason I wanted to go with CAcert is that one gets a warm
fuzzy feeling from being part of an effort that is a community-led,
anti-corporate, stick-it-to-the-man sort of way.
I figured I'd use them if I need to secure say an open-source or demo
project site. Anything more and I'd go with Thawte or RapidSSL.

With regards commercial CAs, I have used rapidssl.com is the past
which provide a pretty good service (they gave me a free re-issue when
I pointed out the MD5 signature algorithm vulnerability).

So weather permitting, I will try and be there with my ID docs. Will
you have the CA assurer forms with you if you're attending?

Thanks!

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F