Re: [Hampshire] stuart biggs added you as a business connect…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] stuart biggs added you as a business connection onPlaxo

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x568ff100.hantslug.org.uk.28099': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 31 18:29:01 2010 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hello,

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 05:50:55PM +0000, LinuxLearner wrote:
> Which in my view is most probably a breach of Data Protection Act
> provisions. e.g. I get regular 'invites' from Facebook, though I have
> never given Facebook consent to email me (nor ever given anyone I know
> consent to give Facebook my email). This infuriates me, no end: it's
> SPAM, plain and simple, which *big* business gets away with.

But this is the Facebook users wanting to contact you. How else
could it work?

It would be better if people were taught that it's a faux pas (at
least) to give their friends' email addresses out just as much as it
would be to give their friends' phone numbers out. But they're not,
so what to do?

At least Facebook are only relaying messages that people you know
want you to receive. If you contacted Facebook and told them to never
do so, probably this would stop. Naturally this opt-out nature is
not ideal.

When you give someone your email address sadly you have no idea what
they will do with it. Companies have to have a privacy policy,
individuals don't, even if they should...

A more legitimate gripe with many sites like Facebook IMHO is that they
don't make clear what they are about to do. It's not in their
interest to say, "when you give us your details we're going to send
an email to everyone in your address book and you'll have no
opportunity to choose who gets it." (I've no idea if Facebook is as
bad as that because I don't have an email account they could log
into, even if I was foolhardy enough to let them, but it's a common
behaviour). THAT sort of provision would be good in a privacy
policy.

Cheers,
Andy