Re: [Hampshire] stuart biggs added you as a business connect…

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] stuart biggs added you as a business connection on Plaxo

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57ecf100.hantslug.org.uk.14290': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 31 18:29:33 2010 GMT
gpg: using RSA key 4BC36C6C174D31C1
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:50:55 +0000
LinuxLearner <passiveprofits@???> wrote:

Hello LinuxLearner,

> Which in my view is most probably a breach of Data Protection Act

FB et al don't store the info, so the DPA doesn't apply.

> provisions. e.g. I get regular 'invites' from Facebook, though I have
> never given Facebook consent to email me (nor ever given anyone I know

FB are just a tool, it's not them, but a *user* of that tool.

> consent to give Facebook my email). This infuriates me, no end: it's

You misunderstand, possibly;

Somebody, somewhere (doesn't matter who, or how they got the address),
has your email addy stored at (say) GMail. That person decides to use
the FB option to mail all their friends invites. You get one. FB don't
send you a message then store the info and keep sending you stuff. Also,
some FB invites aren't via FB at all but really are phishing attempts
from bogus sites.

> SPAM, plain and simple, which *big* business gets away with.

Have you actually contacted FB and asked them to add your email address
to a (for want of a better word) blacklist of un-interested people? TBH,
I don't even know whether they operate such a scheme.

--
 Regards  _

If Adolf Hitler flew in today, they'd send a limousine anyway
(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais