Re: [Hampshire] Recurrent Hardware Problem

Author: paul
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recurrent Hardware Problem
Hi Chris,

On Mon 12:21 PM , "Chris. Aubrey-Smith" cas194@??? sent:
Hello, all!

Quite a while ago, I had a problem with a machine which suddenly wouldn't
start. After several attempts it started and ran normally and then would,
again, refuse to start. On power-up, the fan would sometimes 'kick' and
then.... nothing. Very occasionally, it would start and run normally.

[snip]

I've just encountered another machine (a completely different make) which
is displaying identical symptoms, so I'm moved to have another try.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

What are the makes and models of these machines please? We've had lots
(10s) of machines at work do the same thing. They were all Dell GX260 and
GX270 machines with the same fault and we consider it a motherboard
defect. Since Dell use Intel motherboards I see no reason the fault
shouldn't affect others too.

Have a look at the electrolytic capacitors on the board (I don't know
your level of experience so they're the cylindrical components with a
plastic coating on the outside and a metal disc visible on the top). The
metal disc on the end of them should be totally flat (usually with grooves
marked into it) . On all the motherboards we had the discs had all bulged
outwards (some of them had leaked fluid too) indicating the capacitors had
failed  and built up pressure internally.

Is this what you're seeing?

Cheers,
Paul.