Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu LTS

Author: Clive Woodfine
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu LTS
An update on progress.

On 10 February 2010 15:09, Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> We generally recommend you use update-manager (for machines with a
> GUI), or do-release-upgrade (for machines without a GUI, or machines
> you have only remote access to). This is covered in the upgrade
> guides, which will be updated for 10.04 when it is released.
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Hi Al.

I have followed the upgrade instructions version to version but have
ended up with some errors. Since I have nearly run out of space on
this partition I have created two new ones Viz. / and /home and done a
new install of Ubuntu 9.10. All works fine but of course I have lost
my setup.

I have a backup of /home and /etc from the 8.04 version. If I copy
these to /home partition and /etc directory respectively will I create
more problems than I solve do you think?

Clive