Re: [Hampshire] Basic CAD software?

Author: Jacqui Caren-home
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Basic CAD software?
john lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:35:23 +0000
> Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
>
>>    I'd hardly describe OpenOffice Draw as "high-end". Like almost
>> everything else in OpenOffice.org, it's a poor copy of MS Office,

> mebbe so but it is free and 'good enough' for most users. OOo Write has
> opened all word/excell docs sent to me to date.

ALso it has managed to disinfect a number of documents sent by clients.

Ooo also has a number of features missing in Office.

A fried is writing a book and has created one word doc for each chapter.

SHe wants to print out the book correctly numbers and styled in
various layouts and formats.

Ooo's book builder does all of this out of the box. Framemaker and
other high end DTP packages can do this but Word does not have
this facility.

As an avid frame user I have to say I like OOo's book facility.
It lets me build a report, reqspec or most formal documents using
"lego" elements such as doc covers, doc versioning pages, and other
standard company templates with ease. It also is a lot easier to
do some jobs suich as determining the total number of pages a
*lot* simpler than the messy hacks required for Frame.

So Ooo has faults but some features are worth thier weight in gold.