Re: [Hampshire] Playing music in my living room

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Playing music in my living room
trotter wrote:
> At 14:46 11/03/2010, you wrote:
>
>> Andy Random wrote:
>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>> I've been contemplating one of these:
>>
>> http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=735
>>
>> It plays just about every file format you'd want to play (inc. mp3s avis
>> oggs and flacs), and it will stream across the network or it will accept
>> a USB drive plugged in directly.
>>
>> I have the non-streaming USB version and am very happy with it on the
>> whole, although I use it solely for avi files and have therefore not
>> looked into what outputs it this might have for audio. I simply plug in
>> a usb stick with the files on it, and then browse the menu on the TV and
>> play.
>>
>> Reasonably cheap at < £90.
>>

> I got one of those boxes for playing HD files through the TV via a 2.5"
> HD in an external box.
>
> Never toyed with the music size of things but I like it for TV stuff so
> ask if you have any questions. The only complaint for my use is the
> menus move a bit slow with the cheapo rubber button remote otherwise
> works well.

Agreed on the menu selection - it can be a bit slow and patience is
required between options.

With regard to using it for music I've discovered that I will need to by
a DAC to convert the signal from the optical out to an analogue input on
my amplifier. Also, to be effective I'll need a big external hard drive,
so I am probably looking at something in the region of £150-£175. I'll
think on it some more and stick with the old fashioned method for the
time being.

For watching compressed video files though it is brilliant. My friend is
also very pleased with his streaming version, where apparently the UI is
a little faster.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk