[Hampshire] What do *you* put in /etc/hostname on Debian?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire, surrey
Subject: [Hampshire] What do *you* put in /etc/hostname on Debian?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56cd5100.hantslug.org.uk.16900': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Apr 15 06:07:15 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hello,

For those of you adminstering Debian or Ubuntu, given a FQDN of
"foo.example.com", what would *you* put in the /etc/hostname,
/etc/hosts and /etc/mailname files?

How about if the desired FQDN of the host was "example.com"?

If you have any documented support for your position, please
provide a link. I'm still interested if it's just personal
preference though.

Personally I put the short name in /etc/hostname:

        foo

in /etc/hosts something like:

        192.168.1.2 foo.example.com foo

and in /etc/mailname:

        foo.example.com

If it came to the desired FQDN being "example.com" though, then it
would be more like:

/etc/hostname:
        example.com

/etc/hosts:
        192.168.1.2 example.com

/etc/mailname:
        example.com

The differing treatment displeases me, and I know a few people
prefer the FQDN in /etc/hostname in all cases.

As far as I know it's down to preference and the debate hasn't moved
on from:

What do you do?

Cheers,
Andy

"The electric guitar - like making love - is much improved by a little
feedback, completely ruined by too much." -- The League Against Tedium