Re: [Hampshire] Hmmm.....

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hmmm.....
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:44:33 +0100
"Martin A. Brooks" <martin@???> wrote:

> On Fri, April 23, 2010 16:32, Benjamin Ashton wrote:
> > Is it now time to give up on Linux and 'ask Bill'?
>

> You've slightly confused "linux" with "open source software that runs
> atop the Linux kernel".
>
> Open Office is awful. It's roughly where MS Office was a decade ago.

I can't agree with that statement. I have no problems with it and it
opens _all_ MSWord docs I get sent. I can send people who only have
Word, documents in rtf format knowing they will be able to open them.

My wife runs XP-Pro and is quite happy with OpenOffice, the only
problems she has is with people who use MSWorks, she gets them to send
her rtf formatted stuff.

Spellcheck just works

OpenOffice may not have all the gimicky stuff MS inflict on people, OOo
is fine for people who just want to write stuff and be able to print it.

MS encourages people to send html mail too, yet another abomination
we don't need.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid