[Hampshire] [ADMIN] Important news

Top Page
Author: Hants LUG Chairman
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Important news

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5765b100.hantslug.org.uk.23496': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon May 3 17:29:25 2010 BST
gpg: using RSA key 9CDA8911AF0DB8C8
Hello,

Sorry for not writing earlier, but two house moves and a "cold" in one spring
is enough for anyone! Anyhow, I'm now back online and starting to recover from
my cold....

If you have been following Damian's blog or tweets you will have read that he
is pursuing options elsewhere, which unfortunately means we no longer have
free access to the University of Southampton for our meetings. Which may
explain the absence of a meeting announcement for this month....

I think everyone is happy with sharing every other meeting with Surrey at
Nokia (which is in Hampshire anyway) and our occasional visits to IBM Hursley,
but our home for many years has been the University.

We have three basic options.

1) Find another member of staff willing to let us in and chaperone us at the
University. Both Damian and Hugo before him gave up their time to let us in,
for which we are extremely grateful.

2) Pay commercial rates to use the University, which would be expensive but
not out of the question.

3) Find another location, free or cheap, preferably in the south of the county
- to offset Nokia in the north east corner.

On to the appeal:

a) Does anyone on this list work for the University of Southampton and would
be willing to allow us into the rooms 5 or 6 times per year? I know it's an
ask but if there is anyone it would make a lot of penguins happy.

b) Does anyone work some where where you could host our meeting? We just need
to get in, have space and have public network access. I don't think vast
bandwidth is required for anything but an installfest. Ideally we'd like to be
in the south of the county.

c) Does anyone know of a public space with network access, parking and easy
access to public transport in the south of the county that we could use?

I want to stress that while we can share with Surrey some of the time and go
to IBM once or twice a year, and even have the odd pub meeting we really need
to have our own venue or we be up the creak without a paddle...

--
Adam Trickett
  Chairman, Hampshire Linux Users Group