Re: [Hampshire] ClamAV not running?

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ClamAV not running?
On Friday 07 May 2010, Adam Sweet wrote:
> Andy Smith wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 02:53:10PM +0100, Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
> >> If you have not upgraded yet, you may wish to hold off until it's
> >> really fixed. If you have upgraded, does it work?
> >
> > I've got 3 instances that all run volatile and they seem OK.
>
> Likewise, I run Clamav from Debian volatile and it works fine. The issue
> is that the Clamav people killed off support for older versions as most
> of their signature update traffic is from older versions which aren't
> able to take advantage of the extended signature lengths they are going
> to start using very soon.
>
> If you're not already doing so, use Clamav from Debian volatile, the
> whole point of volatile is for software which fundamentally changes more
> frequently than Debian does. A bug warning of the impending problem was
> sitting in the Debian bug tracker for 6 month before the problem
> occurred and suddenly everybody noticed Clamav stopped working. As it
> happens, Debian weren't alone :)

I am running the volatile versions:

ii  clamav                          0.96+dfsg-4~volatile1
ii  clamav-base                     0.96+dfsg-4~volatile1
ii  clamav-daemon                   0.96+dfsg-4~volatile1
ii  clamav-freshclam                0.96+dfsg-4~volatile1
ii  libclamav6                      0.96+dfsg-4~volatile1

Looking on Debian bugs:

It looks like there is the bug and while they say it's resolved my system is
not and exhibits the bug described here.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Despite all its complexity, fuzziness, uncertainty and spooky action-
at-a-distance, quantum mechanics is probably a Good Thing.  However, I
must also note that QM permits Microsoft Windows to exist.
    -- John Walker