Re: [Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk and low IP addresses

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk and low IP addresses

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56cfd100.hantslug.org.uk.30009': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed May 19 09:54:33 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hello,

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:39:01PM +0100, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:32:02PM +0100, Dee Earley wrote:
> > On 18/05/2010 14:51, Andy Smith wrote:
> > > I come across this all the time. HCC are running what networky types
> > > call a bogon filter. An outdated bogon filter is worse than no bogon
> > > filter at all.
> >
> > Out of interest, is there much point in having one at all?
> > Surely if they are unallocated, no one can really be using them and
> > expect them to work?
>
>    This thought had crossed my mind, too. I suppose it's possible for
> an attacker to fake the return IP address on outgoing packets so that
> it's impossible to tell (after the first routing or so) where the
> packets have come from.

A lot of ISPs let their downstreams announce anything, so they can
hijack any IP range they like. It gets noticed less if they pick
ones that aren't in use already.

Then there's misconfigurations. Run a UDP service like public NTP
and marvel at all the packets you get from e.g. 0.0.0.0.

Cheers,
Andy

"When the Opposition's here, you tell them nothing except where the toilets
are, and you lie about that." -- Malcolm Tucker