Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Hardrive

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Hardrive

> I would like it if Linux would at least tell me which files got hit by
> the reallocation.

It probably can't tell.

Reallocation happens by way of the drive controller; the main OS is not
involved, nor even informed unless it specifically asks. I'm not aware of
any way to inquire about the reallocation map - if such a method exists,
it's almost certainly manufacturer-specific and undocumented.

> So, I lost 3 sectors, so which files have 512 bytes missing?

None of them. That's the purpose of reallocating sectors, not just letting
them fail.

> I use sha256sum on all my picture files, so that I can detect which
> one has gone bad, and then replace it from backup.

That's nice for you, but has little to do with HDD sector reallocation.

Vic.