Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping

> I quite enjoy ripping albums for my on-the-move listening pleasure

Strictly speaking, this is an offence under the Copyrights Designs and
Patents Act 1988. There is no right to format-shift under UK Law, although
section 56 does permit certain backup copies to be made where there are no
express terms to prevent it (your CDs will have such express terms, so it
probably doesn't apply).

Triesman's report two years ago recommended a limited right to
format-shift, but AFAIK, this was never enacted in law.

For personal use, though, there is no chance of prosecution.

> thought it might be fun to offer a service to folks out
> there either not as savvy with the process, or wanting something a
> little bit better than some of these cheap USB decks have to offer from
> their old vinyl.

Now that's a different matter. As a commercial transaction, that goes
beyond what Triesman siggested - indeed, he specifically singled out
commercial activity as something that should be excluded from any
format-shiting rights.

> However, the fact that we have no 'fair use' policy here in the UK might
> complicate that somewhat - i.e. I believe I am technically breaking the
> law doing this for myself, let alone advertising in the classifieds of
> the local press.
>
> Anyone got any thoughts on that, or links to specific texts on the
> subject?

I'd consult a lawyer before going down this path; it would not surprise me
to see the copyright owners taking exception to what you're suggesting.
That's a good way to land yourself in a lot of trouble - section 107 makes
commercial copyright infringement a criminal offence. It's not worth going
to prison over a few old LPs...

Vic.