[Hampshire] irritating periodic soft beep on Ubuntu 10.04 la…

Author: Roger Munford
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] irritating periodic soft beep on Ubuntu 10.04 laptop
I bought the Novatech Xplora E16 laptop a few days ago and installed
Ubuntu (32bit).

There was an irritating periodic soft beep every 30 secs or so. Putting
my ear to the laptop I could hear a motor start after the beep which
stopped just before beeping again and repeating. I thought that there
was a problem with power management.

Without really knowing what was going on I found several references to
laptop-mode-tools and installing that cured the beep . I do not know why
but if somebody has an explanation I would be very interested to hear it.

Regards

Roger