[Hampshire] lvm nightmare

Author: Jacqui Caren-home
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] lvm nightmare
OK I freely admit I did not RTFM.

I have a redhat (well centos5) box with a 500GB disk in
I use to play with openvz store pictures on etc.

centos mounts / from /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

Anyway I bought a couple of 2TB disks and using the LVM GUI
added one of these as a PV to the LV.

When I tried to recover from this mistake I ended up removing the PV
but leaning the LV thinking it still have the resources.

Anyway on reboot the machine hangs as fsync on the above
fails saying that the superblock says 179994624 blocks
but the physical size is 121102336 blocks.

It suggests I run fsync mnaually but this does not sound right
so I droped into a shell but of course because / is mounted ro
I cannot use any of the lv/pv commands to corrcet my mistake.

I tried a couple of rescue CD's but non of these could see
the PV data as non of these have the LVM installed.

So the question is

1) is there a way to recover from my stupidity without wiping the PV/LV

  2) if not can I mount the Lv within a live rescue disk so that I can
     pull off my data before re-installing?

Jacqui

p.s. because the darn thing will not boot I am stuck with manually copying
off the console - and typos are nasty!