Re: [Hampshire] lvm nightmare

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] lvm nightmare
On 08/07/10 00:08, Jacqui Caren-home wrote:
> OK I freely admit I did not RTFM.
>
> I have a redhat (well centos5) box with a 500GB disk in
> I use to play with openvz store pictures on etc.
>
> centos mounts / from /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

> So the question is
>
> 1) is there a way to recover from my stupidity without wiping the PV/LV
>
>  2) if not can I mount the Lv within a live rescue disk so that I can
>     pull off my data before re-installing?

> Jacqui

Jacqui,
Use the Centos CD/DVD to run rescue mode. If not shown in the grub menu
on boot just enter

linux rescue

when you see the boot command ( or hit escape at the grub graphical boot
list)

On completion you should see your disc mounted under /mnt/sysimage and
boot under /mnt/sysimage/boot

Use

chroot /mnt/sysimage

if you want to make any changes to fix the problem.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk