Re: [Hampshire] Open source network backup with de-dupe.

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Open source network backup with de-dupe.
On 14 July 2010 19:56, Adrian Bridgett <adrian@???> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 19:45:00 +0100 (+0100), Keith Edmunds wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:25:10 +0100, james.dutton@??? said:
>>
>> > Does anyone know of any open source backup programs that do de-dupe
>> > for the express purposes of reducing traffic over the WAN.
>>
>> BackupPC. Recommended.
>
> Snap :-)
>
> + dedupes between backups and across boxes
> + nice gui
> - file layout is sadly not rsyncable from the raw FS
>
> I've come to the conclusion that there aren't any decent open source
> backup products.  Yes, I do actually have it on my todo list to write
> one :-)
>
> PS: hantslug.org.uk is backed up using backuppc

The documentation gives no explanation of what WAN bandwidth it will use.
It reads as if it gets all the data into a central location, and then
de-dupes it.
This is not good for WAN bandwidth at all. If the same file is on two
computers, I only want one computer to send the file once.
Also, it sounds very much like a Linux only solution, because its
explanation of how it does windows backup does not use VSS and
therefore will have problems with locked files.
So, in summary, it is not good enough to replace the system currently
at my customer's that cost over £100000 !
That product uses RPC to set off a VSS on the remote windows machine
so that backups work better.
It also handles WAN bandwidth better.

Kind Regards

James