Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad

Author: Jacqui Caren-home
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad
Vic wrote:
>> Now virgin are "insisting" on a password being entered every time I check
>> my
>> email once every couple of minutes for 3 accounts - super irritating.
>> This
>> despite me ticking the "remember password" box. Now before anyone shouts
>> that this is an outlook problem, if I change my default gateway to virgin
>> -
>> the problem goes away. The reason is that virgin's mail settings became
>> bit stricter a few weeks back.
>
> No - that *is* an Outlook problem. If it's got the password it should be
> able to authenticate to any service that requires that password. But this
> wouldn't be the first time I've seen a Windows app caching the wrong
> password (Explorer does it with incredible frequency).
>
>> However if anyone does
>> know a decent workaround - I'd love to hear
>
> There are a few things you can do.
>
> Firstly, run Wireshark against the connection to see what Outlook is
> actually doing. You'll undoubtedly see the challenges, and the wrong
> password being supplied. Fixing that will require some investigation -
> your Wireshark trace will guide that.
>
> Next up, try removing Outlook. I generally use Thunderbird for Windows users.
>
> You should also try running fetchmail against your Virgin account into
> your local MTA - that will give you much better mail availabilty.

Spoke too soon - the pop server has just gone off line :-(

I cannot connect to the spop service - FWICS gmail's SSL is somewhat wonky.

I know email is there but the sods will not let me get it :-)

Of course, I *would* subscribe to this list via this email address...

Jacqui

SORTED! change ntlworld.com to virgin.com and you can login!