Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad

Author: Jacqui Caren-home
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad
Vic wrote:
>> Now virgin are "insisting" on a password being entered every time I check
>> my
>> email once every couple of minutes for 3 accounts - super irritating.
>> This
>> despite me ticking the "remember password" box. Now before anyone shouts
>> that this is an outlook problem, if I change my default gateway to virgin
>> -
>> the problem goes away. The reason is that virgin's mail settings became
>> bit stricter a few weeks back.
>
> No - that *is* an Outlook problem. If it's got the password it should be
> able to authenticate to any service that requires that password. But this
> wouldn't be the first time I've seen a Windows app caching the wrong
> password (Explorer does it with incredible frequency).

This email is sent via virgin - using the *old* connection details and
the supposedly secure new ones do not yet work (for me).

It *is* virgins fault for selling out to the incompetent gmail service which
supposedly requires s-xxx-auth ports but was not implemented last time I tried.
When I say not implemented I mean no service (tried to connect using various
tools then tried nmap and a couple of other netsecurity tools).

"These changes are related to the launch of a new service, Virgin Media Mail,
based on Google technology, which is now available to anyone who has a virgin.net,
ntlworld.com, blueyonder.co.uk or virginmedia.com email address.
Take a look on our website for more information."

My guess is that this is not your fault - its another brigin/gmail f-uk :-(

I dont use outlook so cannot help there - but I do use a gateway box as router and this could have

route add -net default gw ..... eth0 (DSL line)
route add -host smtp.ntlworld.com gw ..... eth1 (virgin gateway)

but this only helps me if BT could be bothered to get the business DSL line working.

Jacqui