Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Wiki

Author: Adam John Trickett
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Wiki
> Indeed, I had thought there was a good chance that given MoinMoin is
> used by Debian, Ubuntu, Apache and more, that it would be relatively
> spam-free out-of-the-box, or if not out-of-the-box, then plugins would
> surely exist to address spam. I'm not sure this has been born out. Or
> perhaps we just see a lot more spammers as a result of using more
> popular wiki software.
>
> MoinMoin offers a content blacklist[1], and this is supposed to be
> automatically updating from MoinMoin's servers. There is also a local
> list[2], which is the one we are supposed to edit. There is a textcha
> system in Moin that we could try.
>
> Personally I'd support switching to registration as a requirement for
> posting, as it's a more complete registration system than Usemod and
> less likely to have false negatives than some of the other heuristics
> that were applied to Abusemod.

I've just been reverting pages but I see you have updated the local black list
which should keep the current spam to a minimum. Now I know it's there I've
also added a few extra words that have come up in recent spam. We'll see if it
keeps the spam levels down a bit.

I don't know much about MoinMoin so I can't offer much help. I think it's best
if we can avoid registration but I think it's clear that people would accept
it if it keeps spam at zero.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity
has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
    -- Richard Dawkins